Friday, November 8, 2013

Superfood Rotini

I originally came across this recipe here but I've found similar ones in a few different places.  I'm sharing this recipe first because, to be honest, it's the best thing I've eaten in such a long time.  It's full of wonderfully delicious vegetables and it's super easy.  The recipe makes 9 servings and since there's 4 of us (2 eating the equivalent of 1 adult serving), I was able to make the entire thing and freeze two batches of it.

So here goes:

1.5 lbs lean ground turkey (if you can find whole turkey breasts at your deli, they will gladly grind it for you)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium zucchini, shredded (I used 3 because we had one left over from a previous recipe)
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce (make sure you check labels - most have preservatives in them)
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes (I used crushed because I couldn't find diced that didn't have calcium chloride in them
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 c raw spinach, tightly packed (I suggest chopping it)
1/2 lb whole wheat rotini
Parmesan for topping

Cook rotini according to instructions for al dente.
In a large sauce pot, cook the turkey in the olive oil until almost completely cooked.
Add the zucchini, carrots, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spinach, and spices.  Cook until the spinach has cooked down considerably.
(If you're freezing a portion of this, this would be the time to divide and freeze.)
Add the cooked pasta to the pot and toss.
Serve up with some Parmesan on top if you like (although you don't need it - a little salt and pepper is perfect)

I wish I had a picture to add in but we ate it so fast, there just wasn't any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment