Friday, November 8, 2013

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portobellas

Oh. My. Gosh.  This was such a good dinner!  In fact, so good that Mike hasn't even gotten home from work and tried it before I've decided I need to blog about it.

 (See that burn-y part of the cheese there at the top?  Yeah, that's the good stuff, right there!)


These photos do not do this meal justice.  I have crappy lighting in my kitchen (especially now that it's pitch black out at 5pm) and the iPhone camera, as good as it is, just isn't good enough.

Not only was this ridiculously good, but it was also superbly easy.  Like, took 25 minutes and it was finito.

So here's what you're going to need:
4 XL portobella mushrooms, stems & gills removed
Oil mister or olive oil cooking spray
Salt & pepper (to taste)
3/4c uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
pinch of red pepper flakes
3/4c shredded mozzarella (the fresher, the better)

Preheat oven to 400F.
Spray both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil and place bottom side down on a rimmed baking sheet.  Sprinkle the tops with salt & pepper and bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
Once finished, stir in the tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, onion powder, and red pepper flakes.  Season with salt & pepper
Flip the mushrooms over.  Divide quinoa mixture into the mushrooms & top with cheese.  Bake for 10 minutes more.
If you like your cheese darker, pop 'em under the broiler for about 3 minutes (just make sure they don't burn!).  I didn't do this because I had hungry children and didn't feel like dealing with the extra step.


And there you have it!  The best darn "pizzas" you'll ever have!!!

Of course, you could probably add some toppings in there, if you like.  I didn't have any that I really wanted in there (since my favorite clean topping is mushrooms anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment