Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bye-Bye Binky!!!!


If there is one vice Katie has, it's her binky.  And I've had it.  I have had enough of the tantrums if it can't be found.  I have had enough of the whining for her "binty."  I have had it with this girl who thinks she NEEDS her pacifier in order to survive.

I have also had enough of the guilt from her pediatrician.  And now that she's 18 months and heading for her well-visit this afternoon, I'm pulling the plug on her plug.

The problem has been, though, two-fold.  1) I didn't have any support in this decision until recently (and even at that, I don't know if the support is really there or not - maybe I'm just making it up in my head).  2) The idea of taking her binky away from her is daunting.  It's intimidating.  She's intimidating.  And I know I shouldn't admit that I'm intimidated by my daughter, but it's the truth.  I want her to be happy.  I don't want her to be mad at me.  But I also want her to be healthy, show off her beautiful smile without obstruction, and not be socially blocked.

I've heard some recommendations from fellow moms who have gone through the same thing.  I have heard horror stories from moms who are still going through it.

I decided last weekend we were going to have a Bye-Bye Binky party this weekend.  And by party, I mean the family gathers together, collecting all the pacifiers in the houses, make a big to-do about saying "bye-bye," and putting them in the drawer.  And then I heard there is a good chance she will simply replace her pacifier with her thumb.  Which is equally bad.

That's when I took to ol' Google.  Simply typed in "bye-bye binky," and came across this.

Nothing else has made as much sense as this method has.  Reduce the amount of pleasure your child experiences while sucking on his/her binky!  Genius!!!

So, this shall be my method.  

And now I can go to Katie's appointment today with a plan in place to be binky-free by the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment