Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Recommendations

Every once in a while, I come across a book or an author that someone has recommended to me that I find hard to put down.

About a year ago, it was Maria de los Santos.  She's a poet who has written two novels (Love Walked In and Belong to Me - both follow the same main character, but you don't need to read the first to enjoy the second).  This woman is clearly a very gifted writer.  And the fact that she's a poet only helps to increase her ability to write a good novel.  She chooses each word so carefully (a trait not many novelists have but every poet needs).  There is so much emotion in every single line, every paragraph, each chapter.  It's hard not to identify with any character in her books.

Recently, though, someone recommended David Mitchell.  I thought I had heard of him before but, upon further research, I don't think I have.  There are two books by this author now currently in my house.  The first I got from the library and the second I had to purchase because the library does not carry it.

I'm currently reading "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet."



I'm not very far into it but I have just one word: wow.  Again, the word choice is so deliberate.  The writing style is a throwback to the classics, which is not common in current fiction.  I am just so amazed.

I'm fairly positive this is a book I will be purchasing.  I am very glad I bought "Cloud Atlas" now, knowing how much I love Mitchell's writing style.

Anyway, I know how much I love receiving book recommendations from others, so I thought I'd pass this one on.

No comments:

Post a Comment