Thursday, August 11, 2011

School of Dreams

This morning started out lovely.  And it has progressively gotten worse.

I really don't like to complain in my blog - I prefer it to be a happy place, full of nice thoughts and whimsy.

Unfortunately, today is not a "whimsy" kind of day.  And at the top of my list to complain about?  School. Not school in general, mind you.  I love school.  I love going to school, learning, helping other students to grasp the subject matter.  I love pushing myself to my limits.

Apparently, so does my school.  For those of you who don't know, I go to community college.  "School of dreams" as my husband likes to call it.  Normally, I have no problems with this school.

However, all that is changing with this semester.  First, they tried to force me to take a class that I took in 8th grade.  That's right, folks, 8th freaking grade.  Luckily, I tested out of it and proved them all wrong.  Things were looking up!  This semester was going to be difficult, but worth it.  A heavy workload this semester means a much, MUCH lighter workload next semester, which is also my last at this school.

I noticed a few days ago that my financial aid award letter still had not come.  So I checked my student portal.  "Your financial aid package cannot be completed.  Please contact your financial aid advisor for further instructions."  Awesome.

Let me break this down for you:

  • I submitted my FAFSA in February.  Immediately after completing my taxes.
  • I submitted the household verification worksheet that is required by my school in March.
  • I submitted in my (requested) proof of Illinois residence in May.
  • I re-submitted the household verification worksheet along with the (requested) "Untaxed Income Worksheet" in July.
There should be no reason why my financial aid package cannot be completed.  Oh, but wait - THERE'S MORE!  I called my financial aid advisor today.  She informed me that I needed to bring in my W-2 from 2010, along with Mike's.  That's all well and good, but why?  I didn't need that last year!  "You've been selected for verification.  We need additional proof of you income from last year."  Well, thanks for letting me know!  I am currently registered for 5 classes that comes to $1900, PLUS I have books that are totalling at least $400, if I get them USED!  Oh, and all this is due in less than two weeks.

Props to you, Triton, for looking out for your students.  It looks like I may be paying out of pocket for my tuition and praying for reimbursement.

I am NOT a happy camper.


1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I remember those days in college. So stinking stressful! I hope it all works out quickly for you. Good luck with your last 2 semesters. That is so exciting : )

    ReplyDelete